[padg] RE: deferred binding of paperbacks

We at ISU send all of our paperbacks to the stacks as is (with the exception
of books with spines that measure 1/4 inch or less, which we send to the
commercial bindery for digicovers). I do not think that paperbacks cause any
shelving problems. As for holding up, it depends on the use of the item. The
covers of frequently used books often get more wear and tear than hardbound
books. When these paperbacks wear out or are damaged, we either send them
for commercial binding or replace them. I think the trade off is that we are
only spending extra time and money on heavily used paperbacks as opposed to
spending time and money on all paperbacks, some of which are used only a few
times or never.

Heather

Heather Marie Kosur
Illinois State University