[padg] RE: [alcts-eforum] High density storage facilities

Gary - thank you.  This is a great punch list of areas of concern associated with high density storage shelving.  OK if I transform the paragraph into a list and post to the eForum discussion?  / Walter

-----Original Message-----
From: Frost, Gary [mailto:gary-frost@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2009 10:25 AM
To: 'padg@xxxxxxx'
Subject: [padg] RE: [alcts-eforum] High density storage facilities

Walter,

(I did send Laura a bit of response which has become more fragmentary...but may be a prompt:)

Laura,

Given the
potential magnitude of even the smallest event in these storage facilities, due to the extreme shelving height, massive quantity of materials, and complete dependence on IT to locate any single item. Remember that there will also be no electricity and any mud intervention will make the cherry pickers inoperative. The trays will probably accentuate problems of hidden moisture and evacuation handling. The post incident remediation will require ventilation and may or may not be under preservation control. Forced heat drying will victimize the cellulosic collections in these impervious new building constructions.

A whole new model for protection and preventions is needed.

Gary Frost, Conservator
University of Iowa Libraries
100 Main Library, Iowa City, IA, 52242
319.335.5908