[padg] preservation dept off central campus

Dear Colleagues,

  Yale is looking to move all or part of its library preservation operations off the central campus and join in a centralized facility with all the university conservation facilities.  We are in discussions and have just begun the planning process.  We don’t anticipate the facility being ready for 5-7 years.

We are very interested in hearing from any of you who have preservation programs that have either wholly moved off central campus or have split the preservation operations between different campus locations.

 We are specifically interested in knowing:

--What was moved—the whole program or only parts of it?

--If parts moved which parts and why are they where they are?

--What was the motivating factor for the move?

--Are there other parts of the library operation located near the preservation operations and what are those library operations?

--What is the distance between the preservation operation and your key customers?

--If the preservation program was split what is the distance between the two locations?

--How has the move affected your ability—positively and negatively—to provide preservation services?

--Are you using any types of technology to help “span the distance”—such as web cams?

--How are collection materials [general and special] being moved to the appropriate preservation operation?

--How do staff get back and forth?

In general, what do you think have been the pluses and minuses of the new location(s)?

Please feel free to include any other thoughts or words of advice when considering this type of set-up.

I will be happy to take comments off the list and then compile the responses in a more anonymous manner and then post the information in a more general way to the list.

Bobbie Pilette

Head, Preservation Dept

Yale University Library

Roberta.pilette@xxxxxxxx