[padg] cooling set point for general collections?

As Summer approaches I'm remembering all the complaints I heard last year about how cold our library was.   I know the general rule of thumb for general collections in open stacks is for the space to be as cool as possible "while allowing for human comfort", but I'm wondering how cool others keep their libraries in the summer.

Our campus is full of students all summer and there are times when it can get quite hot, even in Vermont.  Most of the classroom buildings are not air conditioned so students often wear shorts, sandals, tank tops, etc., and when they come into the library, which is cooled to 73f, they are cold.  Our reading rooms and study area are not separated in any way from the book stacks.

If your library is air conditioned, what is the cooling set point for the general open stacks area?  I'm looking for a reality check.

Please reply to me and I'll summarize for the list.  jwatson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks,
Joseph

Joseph F. Watson
Preservation & Processing Manager, LIS Facilities Coordinator
Library & Information Services, Middlebury College
http://tinyurl.com/2ukhr2 ~ 802-443-5487 ~ jwatson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx