[padg] RE:: Rare materials in remote storage

We are in the process of beginning construction on a new remote storage
facility here at Syracuse, and would be moving special collections
materials there. While the vast majority of those would be from our
manuscript / archival collections, it is anticipated that some book
collections would also be moved off site. For those, what I will be
advocating is a tiered approach based on the level of protection
needed/desirable.

More fragile materials would received a hard (cloth covered) clamshell,
corrugated clamshell, or folder stock enclosure based on value/need.

For other bound volumes, I will strongly be encouraging shrink wrapping.
Barcodes could be slipped under the shrink along with the call number
flag. I like shrink-wrapping because it allows the contents to be seen,
protects against abrasion, and keeps bits together. All shrink-wrapping
would be undertaken by conservation staff. In the greater context of
things, I believe that the benefits outweigh the risks of the short-term
heat exposure. There is also the not insignificant cost/benefit.

Some references:
The Shrink Wrap Project at Rutgers University Special Collections and
Archives by Janice Stagnitto
http://cool-aic.stanford.edu/sg/bpg/annual/v12/bp12-13.html

Moving Fragile Materials: Shrink_Wrapping at Penn State by L. Suzanne
Kellerman
http://www.haworthpress.com/store/E-Text/View_EText.asp?sid=1G3VFVL3QX4K
9HW27283KMU2USUM4D39&a=3&s=J105&v=18&i=1%2F2&fn=J105v18n01_10

Otherwise, I would agree that adhering to / printing on the book flag,
or PE or PP straps around the board of a book for placement of a barcode
are best.

My thoughts,

Peter

Peter D. Verheyen