[padg] Re: Re: Rare materials in remote storage

At Yale, we barcode the item and the protective enclosure. We use a "Polystrap"
system to attach the barcode to the item. It creates a polyethylene band around
the front cover of the volume and the barcode is affixed to the polystrap. So
it's a system similar to what you've suggested, Michele, it's just polyethylene
instead.

The system is available from Benchmark and is simple to use and not terribly
expensive.

As to detached covers, I think that we still affix the strap to the detached
board and keep it with the protective enclosure. I don't know what is done for
items without a cover.

Good luck!
Tara