Re: [padg] barcodes

Dear Holly and all,
 You beat me to the LOC reference Holly, which I was going to send.
There are a number of specifications for label stock of various sorts as
LOC did considerable testing of products.  All the specifications on
materials from board to labels can be viewed at
http://www.loc.gov/preserv/supply/specific.html
  You can also see some materials that LOC orders by going to the
supply catalog on line at
http://www.loc.gov/preserv/supply/
However labels unfortunately is not part of what is available for the
public.

Jeanne

Jeanne Drewes
Chief, Binding & Collections Care,
Library of Congress, LM-G20
jdre@xxxxxxx
202 707 5330
FAX: 202 707 3434

>>> Holly Robertson <har8n@xxxxxxxxxxxx> 9/6/2007 11:36 AM >>>
Hi Cathy and all,

Our current pre-printed barcode vendor is Data2 and we currently use
2.00"x5/8" 3-mil polyester barcodes with 1-mil acrylic adhesives.  We

use the same label stock from Data2 to print barcodes in-house with
our Zebra TLP 2428 thermal transfer printer, and we were informed by
Data2 that this label stock meets the LOC "Specifications for
Pressure Sensitive Adhesive Labels for Application to Covers of Bound

Books for Use in Thermal Transfer Printers"  (http://www.loc.gov/
preserv/supply/specs/700-712.html).  All the same, I'm still waiting
for some test results from Data2 to confirm.

I'd be very interesting in knowing which barcode vendors others are
using, info on label stock / adhesive formulations, and if we in this

preservation forum might find consensus on which specifications
constitute a 'preservationally' correct barcode?

Holly

---------------------
Holly Robertson
Head, Preservation Services
University of Virginia Library

Alderman Library
Preservation - Rm 113
Charlottesville, VA 22904-4105
office: 434.924.1055
emergency cell: 571-332-8417
AIM: h011y2121 | GoogleTalk: h011yr0b3rts0n
hollyr@xxxxxxxxxxxx
www.lib.virginia.edu/preservation