Re: [padg] Preserving dissertations

Grant, Tyra wrote:
I have a meeting next week to discuss our electronic dissertations practice (of not maintaining dissertation hardcopy backups).
KU accepts e-dissertations only and maintains no hardcopy or film backups. The e-dissertations are submitted to ProQuest.
I've been asked to poll other libraries to learn if other institutions maintain hardcopy backups of their dissertations. 1) Do students at your university submit electronic dissertations?
Some doctoral departments require this. Psychology is one.
2) Do students submit hardcopy dissertations to be added to the library/university archive collections?
students submit 2 loose paper copies (one for general stacks, one for Special Collections),
the library has them both commercially bound
it is a major effort every spring as our number of graduates keep increasing...
We also bind undergraduate theses from the Honors program.
3) If you answer "no" to #2, briefly describe if/how you preserve dissertations to guarantee long term access? 4) Comments?
we've discussed electronic theses but have not committed at this time--it is a growing concern from a linear foot perspective as well as from an accessibility perspective--we've seen an increase in multi-format submissions and are concerned about longevity of non-print media...a digital repository might solve some of these issues...i think we would commit to retaining a non-circulating hard copy, but that might be an assumption on my part

5) May I share information from your response (including institution name)? yes
I'd appreciate as many responses as possible (on or off list).
I'll compile and share whatever information I gather.
Thanks,
Tyra Grant
Head, Preservation Department
University of Kansas Libraries

-- Julia Merkel, MFA, ACA Preservation/Special Collections JMU Libraries & Educational Technologies MSC 1704 Carrier Library Harrisonburg VA 22807 540/568-7040

merkeljm@xxxxxxx