RE: [padg] humidity in book returns

Another possibility is to elevate the book drop box off the cooler ground. The metal floor would be an ideal condensing surface. The plenum air space of a few inches will also enhance circulation.

Gary

From: Valinda.Carroll@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:Valinda.Carroll@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, July 10, 2007 4:40 PM
To: padg@xxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [padg] humidity in book returns

Hi Patricia,

Our temperature is moderated by the breeze off of the bay and the river, but we make up for it by having higher humidity than Richmond.  I generally try to avoid anything involving the bookdrop, because it can be destructive in many ways.  Ours is connected to a closet on an exterior wall of the 24-hour study room, so it gets some AC.  I imagine that moisture is condensing in ours whenever the door is opened, because the HVAC in our building doesn’t dehumidify (and I have measured 70% RH in another part of the building).  The relative humidity might be lower in the freestanding kind, since the temperature is higher. That can’t be reassuring, though.

I think Peter is right to suggest sticking a datalogger in there to gather hard statistics. Unfortunately, silica gel won’t last long with constant exposure to the outdoors.  Outdoor bookdrops are just bad news.  Is there another book drop connected to a climate-controlled area of the building? If you can’t eliminate the bookdrop altogether, you might be able to get it installed in a better place. Could you put one inside the Commons or some other building that is open all night? I realize that it would mean transporting books outdoors, but the duration of exposure would be brief compared to what you have now. People might even view it as a public service if indoor book drops are added to places that are open when the library is closed.

I wish there were a magic dehumidifying bullet. It would be great for all of those summer power outages.  Aaah, an off-the-grid dehumidifier that drains to the landscape drip irrigation system...

Valinda Carroll

Preservation Manager

Harvey Library

Hampton University