Re: [padg] humidity in book returns

In addition to the humidity (The silica gel would be quickly overwhelmed and be ineffectual as the book drop is essentially open, not sealed) I think the heat is the biggest danger. If the book drop is metal and gets direct sun the temps will quickly go into the triple digits, also softening hotmelt glues...  Remember those old chain gang movies like Cool Hand Luke and their sweat boxes... Same thing. Try sticking a datalogger in to get a true sense of conditions.

Other than emptying out several times a day or closing it down, do  you have other options?

Hope this helps.

Peter Verheyen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Peter D. Verheyen
Preservation & Digital Access Librarian
Special Collections Research Center
Syracuse University Library
Syracuse, NY 13244
315.443.9756
<pdverhey@xxxxxxx>
<http://scrc.syr.edu>

>>> "Patricia E. Selinger" <patricia.selinger@xxxxxxx> 7/10/2007 10:05 AM >>>
Hello everyone,
I received this request this morning and would like to know if you have any solutions.  Do you think silica gel would work?  The problem, of course, is that the book return is opened periodically and reintroduces more humidity.  Obviously we are in the dog days of summer here.

I appreciate your suggestions.

Patricia