Re: [padg] pandemic planning

UNC-Chapel Hill has a flu planning web site that may be helpful:
http://ehs.unc.edu/healthy/coop.shtml
Access to examples of completed plans is restricted but planning guidelines, templates, and FAQs are publicly available.

From a preservation perspective, one serious concern is a fire, flood, or any other disaster during a pandemic scenario that strains the fire department, police, facilities, recovery service companies, etc. Our library included the preservation librarian on its list of "Public Health Emergency Employees." With this designation I could come in to at least assess damage and make some attempt to mitigate loss if a disaster occurs when access to campus is limited to essential personnel.

The flu pandemic planning effort, a concurrent campus risk management project, and some campus incidents that affected the library were catalysts for our library director to appoint an Emergency Preparedness Committee to update and strengthen the connections between plans for a wide variety of emergencies. The committee has a preservation component (I'm chairing and one of the members is the special collections conservator) but we also included library staff in communications, personnel, public services, systems, and facilities. The University's continuity of operations officer also participates as an ex officio member of the committee.

Andy