[PADG:1365] Re: space planning

Perhaps the Connecticut State Library's "Library Space Planning Guide" will help.  http://data.webjunction.org/ct/documents/6181.pdf

Also , go to the CSL Division of Library Development homepage http://ct.webjunction.org/do/Home  and click on "Services to Libraries", then "Services to Connecticut Libraries" then to "Library Buildings and Construction", then "Library Buildings Planning Guides & Resources" or try this link http://ct.webjunction.org/do/DisplayContent?id=10508 for the list of other space planning resources, including a list of building consultants.

--Jane

Jane F. Cullinane
Preservation Librarian, Collection Management Unit
Connecticut State Library
231 Capitol Ave., Hartford,  CT  06106-1537
860-757-6524, fax: 860-757-6683
jcullinane@xxxxxxxxx     http://www.cslib.org

>>> roberta.pilette@xxxxxxxx 1/18/07  4:18 PM >>>
Hello,
   I know a lot of folks are busy with ALA at the moment but am putting
this out anyway.  We in the Yale Preservation Dept would like to do some
serious space planning for the whole department.  My thought is to have
someone come in and take a look at the spaces we have, talk with staff
about their jobs and how our operations work, and come up with a plan on
how to better utilize are spaces--this can be a full or partial shuffling
of who occupies what spaces, some renovation, and/or re-org within each
space. The options are open.

   Has anyone ever had an outside consultant do this?  Have you had your
institutions architects and planners do this?  I'm interested in hearing
how preservation folks have handled this.   This is not designing a new
facility per se but making use of what we have in a better way.

   Feel free to respond to the list or to me individually.

Thanks.

Bobbie Pilette
Preservation Department
Yale University Library