[PADG:1328] RE: RBMS Curators and Conservators

Molly,  We will not attend this meeting because it conflicts with PADG
but the article is informative. ~~ Janice

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-padg@xxxxxxx [mailto:owner-padg@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Donia
Conn
Sent: Wednesday, December 20, 2006 8:24 AM
To: EXLIBRIS-L@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: padg@xxxxxxx
Subject: [PADG:1325] RBMS Curators and Conservators

The ALA Midwinter 07 meeting for the RBMS Curators and Conservators
Discussion Group is scheduled for the East Room in the Renaissance
Madison hotel (Madison St. and 6th Ave.) Saturday 20 January from
8-10am.

The topic for discussion this meeting will be the second topic that was
not discussed at Annual 06.
There is a  trend for conservation to be used as a function of public
engagement and as promoting awareness for special collections.  For
reference, see the 29 March 2006 article in the NYTimes, Section G
(Art) "Trends: The Art of Conservation Sees Light at the Getty" by Laura
Novak.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/29/arts/artsspecial/29conserve.html?ex=11
66763600&en=5744734a84b2bfae&ei=5070

What tactics are or are not working?  How is the role of conservation
changing as conservators become more involved with institutional
promotion?  What benefits are our special collections seeing from the
increased awareness of the public/donors about preservation and /or
conservation?

I am aware that PADG overlaps with this meeting so we will try to start
on time and end by about 9:30 so the Preservation Administrators can get
over to the Red Lion for the bulk of their meeting.

See you in Seattle!

Donia Conn
Head of Conservation
Northwestern University