[PADG:1243] Acidic book paper in newly bound books

Greetings all!

I have recently been contacted by an author who's discovered that "more and
more publishers are using cheap groundwood paper more frequently in
clothbound editions--but are not telling the public about the switch." I'm
assuming he means U.S. publishers, but I'll query him about where exactly
these publishers are geographically and also whether he's verified this with
actual tests. In the meantime, I wonder if any of you have heard similar
reports? I had a student in my class a year ago who worked for a publisher
and told me her publisher was no longer using acid-free paper in ppbk books.
Has anyone recently tested the papers used in new book acquisitions?

Please respond off-line to me at: destefano@xxxxxxxx  I'll summarize and
share any news I receive on PADG.

Thanks!
Paula