[PADG:1233] Re: cost of shelving

Does an "assignable square foot" refer to a linear foot of 12"
shelving or the foot print of a shelving unit which may have 8-12
shelves on it?

If the latter, you should move the decimal one place to the left.

Your calculation appears to take the number of shelves into account
for the Harvard example (161, stacked upon a square foot of floor),
but not your own (14, which is a good number per running foot)).

Wes Boomgaarden <boomgaarden.1@xxxxxxx> said:

> [...]
> estimation...
>
> A very good source is Leighton & Weber's Planning Academic and
> Research Library Buildings (ALA, 1999, 3rd ed.), a Bible in the
field
> of building renovation and construction planning.  Its Chapter 6
> "Programming Housing the Collections" is excellent in describing
> space requirements for varied types of analog-format collections,
> especially its0 section 6.2.
>
> Armed with that data AND with the specific space costs on your
local
> campus or facility, you may be able to estimate a real annualized
> cost to house a book in a particular building on your campus.
>
> So, for example, we at Ohio State use "plant operations &
> maintenance" -- or POM -- cost figures, which are paid by all
units
> at this university for the space they occupy.  The cost of POM at
> this time is $12.36 per assignable square foot (asf) per year, a
cost
> that includes a host of costs for lights, energy, maintenance,
etc.

> If the library facility houses, say, 14 volumes per assignable
square
> foot in its conventional-stack book storage areas, the cost per
year
> would be about $.88 per volume per year.   If, in contrast, it
stores
> 161 volumes / asf in its Harvard-style depository, the cost would
be
> a bit less than $.08 per volume per year.
>
> Cathy, I hope you somehow find this trivia of value.
>
> Best,
>
> Wes Boomgaarden
> Ohio State University Libraries
>
> At 01:26 PM 10/10/2006, you wrote:
> >For those of you PADGers who have your reference hats on this
fine afternoon,

> >I have been asked to provide annual cost figures for 'shelving a
> >book'.  Obviously this cost depends greatly on the particulars of
> >the shelving location, such as open or closed stack, regular or
high
> >density, location of the building on or off campus, geographical
> >location of University (Manhattan vs. Gainesville), as well as
> >determining if are you worried about overhead and personnel, etc.
> >have been hunting for one or two key, fairly recent articles on
the
> >topic and have been coming up short.  I have several from the
late
> >1980's/early 1990's ( Michael Cooper, 'a cost comparison of
> >alternative book storage facilties', from Library Quarterly v.59,
> >no.3 1989 and by the same author, 'Sensitivity of book storage
> >strategy decisions to alternative cost assumptions' Library
> >Quarterly, v.61 no. 4, 1991) plus the Hain-Teper article from
2003
> >in Collection Management v.28, no.4 ('Time and Cost analysis of
> >preparing and processing materials for off site shelving at the
UIUC').