[PADG:1215] RE: string or rubber bands for gathering binding units?

You might ask your binder to supply paper strips that can be taped in place instead of rubber bands. We've been using scrap paper strips to hold together pages of preservation photocopies we produce in-house when we send them for binding and they work very well -- when taped reasonably snugly they hold up long enough to store and pack the volumes, but tear off easily. And they are very easy on the materials. Binders would have the facilities to produce such strips cheaply, I would think. The kind of paper they normally use for packing material cut five inches wide, 20-24 inches long would work for nearly all journals.

Alice Carli
Conservator
Sibley Music Library