From: owner-padg@xxxxxxx [mailto:owner-padg@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jeanne
Drewes
Sent: Wednesday, September 27, 2006 4:58 PM
To: padg@xxxxxxx
Subject: [PADG:1209] string or rubber bands for gathering binding units?

We received a message from our binder recently asking that we stop using
string to gather together the separate issues of a journal title and
instead to use rubber bands.  The binder has offered to provide the
rubber bands but has also asked that we stop tying in any case as it
takes them more time for processing.  My experience is that using rubber
bands are more likely to tear the covers than string is.  I would be
interested in hearing from others on this topic.

Jeanne Drewes

Jeanne Drewes
Chief, Binding & Collections Care
Library of Congress