[PADG:1196] RE: Interlibrary Loan and Repair

Dear Ellen: Our ILL Department (we are a small ARL) has indeed seen an
increase in activity, although document delivery still outpaces
monograph lending by a significant degree. The good news is that they do
not report any noticeable increase in damage as a result, which is good.

It is interesting to know that our local consortia has been pressuring
us towards a more liberal lending policy, including more AV materials,
and just about anything else including special collections holdings. In
response, effective policies, procedures, and packaging options will be
under discussion here at SUNY Albany.

As for a correlation between our ARL stats and ILL, I suspect that the
larger lending institutions have mature preservation programs that are
already operating at capacity. If the staffing levels are constant, any
more damaged books coming to the department would only end up in a
backlog, so our output, and reporting, are not likely to be affected.

I hope this is helpful. Next question!

Best,

Karen E.K. Brown
Preservation Librarian