[PADG:1164] security/welcome desk query

Colleagues,

I would appreciate help with the issue of staffing a security/welcome desk at the front door of a large academic library. My questions include:
1)How does your library keep books from being stolen by simply walking out the front door? 2)Would you share statistics about how many times book theft is prevented by a guard or monitor, or other related statistics?
3)Any arguments you or your colleagues have used to upgrade front door security.

Thanks very much,

Yvonne

Yvonne Carignan
Head of Preservation