[PADG:1114] Re: Goo Gone

I asked about Un-du Adhesive Remover on the Conservation Online
distribution list a few years ago.  If you search the archives you will
find a few responses.  Not much is known for sure because the
manufacturer considers it proprietary information, but I do know that
the active ingredient is heptane and/or hexane.

AKA "lighter fluid"

It's been used in recording studios for decades to remove splicing tape. But once again, any test data?

On the other hand, I've never heard of any troubles with it, either.

Whitney Baker, Conservator
University of Kansas Libraries
1425 Jayhawk Blvd., Room 135
Lawrence, KS  66045-7544
(785) 864-3568; (785) 864-5311 (fax)
wbaker@xxxxxx
www.lib.ku.edu/preservation

-----Original Message----- From: owner-padg@xxxxxxx [mailto:owner-padg@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Andrew Hart Sent: Thursday, July 13, 2006 1:40 PM To: padg@xxxxxxx Subject: [PADG:1112] Re: Goo Gone

Victoria,
Staff in our music library asked a while ago about using Goo Gone to
remove adhesive labels from CDs. I did not fnd any more technical info
than you did. Our conservator and the librarian who manages our audio
preservation lab both recommended against using it.

There's a something in the University Products and Gaylord catalogs that
I haven't tried or researched but I'm interested in learning more about
since one catalog lists it as having passed the photo activity test. The
product is Un-du Adhesive Remover. I'm skeptical about putting it on any
kind of paper or cloth but if it really has passed the PAT it might be
OK for some purposes. I'm particularly curious about its safety for CDs
and DVDs. Maybe others on the list know something about it?
Andy

Victoria Heiduschke wrote:

--
Nominated for Grammy Award 2003:Best Classical Album
Philadelphia Orchestra, Schumann Orchestra works

George Blood
Safe Sound Archive
George Blood Audio, L.P.
21 West Highland Avenue
Philadelphia, PA  19118
(215) 248-2100 (v)
(215) 242-2177 (f)

THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE INDIVIDUAL(S) TO WHOM IT IS ADDRESSED AND MAY CONTAIN INFORMATION THAT IS PRIVILEGED, CONFIDENTIAL AND/OR EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE UNDER APPLICABLE LAW. If you are not the intended recipient or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error or there are any problems, please notify the sender immediately. Neither the sender, his or her employer nor any affiliated entity is liable for direct, special, indirect or consequential damages arising from alteration of the contents of this message by a third party or as a result of any virus being passed on.