[PADG:1053] More info on the Curators and Conservators Meeting at ALA

It seems my plan to send out the time and location for the Curators and Conservators joint meeting at a later date was ill-planned and i should have just announced the "whens" and "wheres" from the get-go.

here are the specifics:

The Curators and Conservators Discussion Group will hold a joint meeting with the Collection Development Discussion Group of RBMS at ALA Annual. The meeting will be held on Saturday, June 24 from 8-10 am in the Hilton New Orleans Riverside, Bridge Room.

Our topic will be investigating the preservation issues that must be considered when accepting (or refusing all or parts of) a collection, as well as the role of conservators in evaluating the cost of conservation treatment of a collection prior to its arrival. Lastly, how may this evaluation impact the price of the collection or, if it is a gift, on the contract signed with the donor?

As a secondary topic, if time allows, we will also be discussing the trend of conservation as a function of public engagement. How are people using conservation to promote awareness for special collections? What tactics are and are not working? How are the roles of conservation changing as conservators become more involved with institutional promotion? What benefits are our special collections seeing from the raise awareness level of the public/donors about preservation and conservation? For reference, a recent article in the NY Times is a good starting point for discussion - March 29, 2006, section G, "Trends" page 6: "The Art of Conservation Sees Light at the Getty" by Laura Novak.

--
Jennifer Hain Teper