[PADG:1047] Re: Paperback Preferred Question (fwd)

We've had deferred binding for a very long time, and also went to a paperback preferred approval plan several years ago so
we have a double set of issues to address. Since I also do some collection development I've been somewhat surprised at how
my own decision making about what format to buy has been influenced by price differences solely when wearing my other hat.

As for binding of paperbacks, what we are reconsidering now is the process for selecting books for binding after they have circulated, whether
to still use a process involving quick staff review for making a decision or go with an automatic process based solely on number of circulations.
We used to be concerned that binding automatically after just one or two circulations would be making a newer book unavailable at the point at which it might be of greater need --of particular importance at a campus with a large undergraduate population on the quarter system. If something is stored off-site or at the bindery, the undergrads usually just give up on that title. If anyone has policies or thoughts about the
best timing of deferred binding, please share online or offline and I will summarize

This discussion reminds me that the question of approaching binding allocations as a percentage of the collections budget still comes up from time to time from administration, sometimes using comparisons of other institutions binding to collections budgets ratios. We are usually successful in bringing that conversation back to a needs based approach rather than looking just at the ratio of binding budget to collection budget. But I was wondering if there is any recommended written material on needs based binding to use as in these discussions.
Perhaps there is also some opportunity for a publication or at least a discussion group topic on how to project binding needs in this
shift to paperback.

Karen Mokrzycki
Preservation and Collection Planning
University Library (292 McHenry)