[PADG:1040] Re: Book Preservation Article in Johns Hopkins Magazine

In looking at the lead photo from this article, it is obvious the problem libraries face in gaining bibliographic control of their collections and getting them listed online for users to discover and access.  I refer to the placement of barcodes on the covers of patently brittle materials.  (I do not doubt that the brittle books seen in the photo were obviously brittle to the person doing  the barcoding, even if done 10-20 years ago.  Here I ignore policy, communication and production issues that mitigate decisions to barcode book covers.)  There is also the problem of barcoding small books, where the bar code becomes the significant feature of the cover, rather than what may have been printed on the cover; in the case of the photo, printed paper covers.  And finally, I personally object, as a binding historian, to barcoding the covers of historical bindings; that is, at this time, those prior to the 20th century, especially stamped publishers' bindings.

At Princeton, these barcoding problems became painfully apparent recently.  We will be transferring the entire contents of one old offsite storage facility to a new one with vastly improved environmental and inventory controls.  The older facility contains over 700,000 items, all general collections, none special collections, and at least 1/4 are from the 19th century and earlier.  Many in this subset are not in the greatest condition and nearly all have never been barcoded.  There are also thousands of books less than six inches tall.  (We call them 'smalls.')  Barcoding the covers of 19th century stamped bindings is anathema to me, from both a professional (preservation) and personal point of view.  I managed to convince our technical services folk that we cannot barcode the covers of these bindings, even though a barcode must be linked to every item.  (Especially the smalls, some of which are miniature books, only inches tall and wide, that are not candidates for special collections.  The barcode would cover nearly 25% of the cover and could not be placed horizontally because of being too narrow.)  Rather, we will band them with polyethylene strips, attach the barcodes to the strips, and then bag the volumes in polyethylene.  This will take more time, but little used material will not be defaced, and will actually be protected and preserved.  (I did have to give some ground on some material, primarily quartos and folios.)

It is not hard to feel that preservation has been co-opted by technology and bibliographic control of collections, that preservation has taken a back seat to access.

Robert