[PADG:1029] Re: Paperback Preferred Question

For much the same reasons Shannon summed up, we have had a paperback preferred profile on our approval plans for about five(?) years now. We made this change around the same time we started deferring binding until evidence of demand for a lot of our circulating paperbacks. Neither change caused any serious problems that I know of and the amount of money saved is significant. However, while the internal costs are in the ballpark for what we expected, I think they are more than most people working in the library would guess. In this library, for example, there's a cost for the labor that goes into decision-making for what gets deferred and what gets bound. If we buy more of our books in softcover then we have to make more deferred binding decisions. Even if this is done very efficiently, the time starts to add up. In a library that stiffens all paperbacks, there's a cost for that treatment that might be obvious to people working in collections conservation but poorly understood for most everyone else.

Shannon's point about dust jackets is something I've also thought about some and I know it has come up in various PARS discussions. I would guess that most research libraries discard dust jackets because we have generally thought the cost outweighs the benefits of keeping them -- but patrons do like them and they sometimes have information that is not repeated within the book. For both our in-house bindings (something akin to stiffening) and commercial bindings, we almost always bind in a paperback's cover. There are pros and cons for binding a cover inside a book or using the services Shannon described to keep the cover on the outside but either way the paperback winds up retaining more of its original presentation than a hardcover with a dust jacket.

Andy

Andrew Hart
Preservation Librarian
CB#3910, Davis Library
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
Tel. 919-962-8047
Fax 919-962-4450
ashart@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Shannon Zachary wrote:

I have now recommended paperback preferred to a number of selectors.

First, recent surveys have shown me that the great majority of books published in the US/Canada, Western Europe, Israel, and Japan are now on alkaline-processed paper. I have contacted several scholarly publishers individually; all respond that the *only* difference between the paper and the hardcover versions is the binding. The difference in price, however, often far exceeds what I know is the cost of the binding for the publisher--and exceeds our cost to have the library binder rebind the paperback.

Next, my observation has been that publishers' hardcover bindings have been getting shoddier and shoddier over the past twenty years, what with paper covering materials, burst-bind leaf attachment, and those wretched stiff spine pieces. Meanwhile, paperback bindings have tended to become sturdier and sturdier. It now makes sense to me to buy paperback and bind if and when the paperback circulates. (Oversize, thin, landscape, and spiral-bound paperbacks I prefer to bind upfront--these structures tend to get destroyed just sitting on the shelf.)

I now have options to ask our library binder to bind paperbacks with the original cover over boards or with the original cover hinged in. Usually the same information that appears on the hardcover dust jacket is printed on the paperback cover. I'm not allowed (in most instances) to save the dust jackets, but I do have options for saving the paperback covers. The libraries and patrons love it.

Shannon Zachary, Head, Preservation and Conservation
University Library
The University of Michigan
837 Greene St. / 3202 Buhr Bldg.
Ann Arbor, MI 48104-1048