[PADG:744] Re: barcodes on covers

In my experience, having barcodes on the outside of the cover is *far* preferable to having them inside. Placement on the outside speeds up circulation and makes it possible to inventory portions of the collection quickly using a portable barcode reader. The more standard the position, the better.

If a barcode becomes damaged or unreadable (which is very rare), we simply replace it and enter the new barcode number into the item record. Barcodes are very cheap compared to labor!

My personal opinion is that the best barcode position for inventory is front top left corner (vertical.) -- just inside the joint. At Carleton, we put them on the back top right corner (horizontal.) -- established before I arrived. If you use or plan to use self-check, there may be some specific placement requirements.

~Carol
Carol E. Eyler                                 ceyler@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Head of Technical Services
Carleton College Library                507-646-4268 voice
One North College St.                    507 646-4087 fax
Northfield, MN 55057