[PADG:743] Re: barcodes on covers

Andy,

We have placed barcodes on the exterior back cover parallel to the upper spine for years. Very few, if any, have fallen off or have worn away. A few may have been "helped" off by industrious students. The same rule applies to both hard cover and paperbacks volumes. Occasionally the barcode placement may cover some information, so the barcode may be moved up or down or perpendicular to accommodate the text. Items sent to our storage facility must have barcodes on the outside, whether it's a box containing a fragile item or the item itself. Since we've been following this same practice for our stacks for 20 (?) years, it didn't require any processing change for the storage facility. Seems to be working okay.