[PADG:738] Re: Free-standing outdoor bookdrops

Tyra --
Once you have your bookdrop, one idea you might want to implement to
decrease damage from books opening and pages being damaged as additional
books hit them, is to put a clear, covered plastic container attached to
the bookdrop, filled with rubberbands. We have a simple note that says
something like, To help with preservation of materials, please put a
band around each book. We also have rubberbands available at inside
bookdrops. A large percentage of returned books are banded and damage
has been reduced.

Julie A. Page
Preservation Librarian
Geisel Library  0175N
UC San Diego
9500 Gilman Dr.
La Jolla, CA 92093-0175

voice: 858-534-7695
fax:     858-822-4248
email:  jpage@xxxxxxxx

>>> ashart@xxxxxxxxxxxxx 11/11/05 06:06 AM >>>
Tyra,
I don't have any organized specs for evaluating bookdrops but I can
offer a couple informal observations. We have free-standing outdoor book

returns from Highsmith. From a preservation perspective, the feature I
like most is that books fall into a cloth pouch that expands as it fills

up. Our old bookdrops had metal shelves supported by springs and books
sometimes slipped under the shelf or got jammed between the edge of the
shelf and the side of the box. The cloth design seems to have solved
this problem. I couldn't say whether it has made any difference in
damage from books landing haphazardly on each other.

Another preservation-related feature I like is that the cloth pouch is
actually part of a removable cart rather than built into the return
itself. You can buy additional carts, so staff can just swap an empty
cart for a full one rather than unloading books onto regular library
book trucks. This was important for us because one of our returns is not

sheltered and books often got wet when the drop was emptied on rainy
days. This was partially a training issue but it's an uphill battle for
anyone to keep books dry when you have to transfer them to another cart
or book truck to ferry them inside. With removable carts, you can
quickly and completely cover them and wait until you're indoors to
unload. The carts are also more stable than most of our regular
booktrucks when we roll along our bumpy brick sidewalks. Unfortunately,
we did have some problems taking advantage of these features when our
facilities crew installed one of the boxes on a cement foundation
several inches high. The foundation provided a level and dry surface at
a convenient drive-through location but the sharp ledge made it
impossible to safely roll a full book cart out from the return. So, if
you go for any system that relies on removable carts make sure you have
a place that can accommodate them and make the function clear to whoever

does the installation.

Andy
--
Andrew Hart
Preservation Librarian

Grant, Tyra wrote:

>Has anyone developed (or can you direct me to) specifications for
evaluating free-standing (outdoor) bookdrops for purchase?

>Based on your experience (positive or negative), are there features (or
location tips) you'd specify if you were seeking new?

>Are there one or two commercially-available bookdrops that seem
preferable?

> Would you be willing to share this information (or any good bookdrop
tips or guidelines for that matter) on or offline?