[PADG:737] RE: Free-standing outdoor bookdrops

Dear Tyra: The University at Albany investigated the idea of a
free-standing, outdoor, drive-up bookdrop for the University Libraries.
Location issues included --

(1) placement to allow access from the driver's side window;
(2) convenience with respect to main roadways on campus;
(3) proximity to sidewalks, doorways, and elevators to facilitate
emptying by library staff;
(4) vulnerability to being plowed into during snow removal, and being
buried in mounds of snow during the same; and
(5) placement in a well-lit, trafficked area of campus (because most
returns would be after hours).

Most of our patrons are interested in returning AV materials after hours
because the fines are stiffer than monographs, so you may wish to
consider a drop box designed for these types of materials as well.

I'm not sure what your budget is like, but one "hot" idea is the ELiMS
Book Drop. Items are flagged with an RFID tag that signals the drop to
open, and also updates your circulation records when material is
deposited. Way cool.

In the end we decided that our Science Library book drops (standard,
outdoor type) are close enough to a traffic circle that patrons can park
momentarily and walk over to the box instead of driving up. It is
sheltered, which is important.  The next step is to update the web site
to direct our patrons (see www.lib.utexas.edu/engin/bkreturn_pr.html).

I hope this helps -- Karen B.