[PADG:686] Protecting paintings in storage

Our library is beginning a major renovation that will last 3-4 years. We have a dozen very large paintings of university presidents (the largest is at least 5'x6' with plaster frame) that we will be storing in wooden boxes with masonite sides. The boxed paintings will be stored in our new warehouse-like annex with concrete floor and insulated metal walls. The annex is also housing our book and journal collections on compact shelving. The climate control is geothermal and seems fairly stable. This is currently the largest geothermally controlled structure in Illinois.

Our main concern is how to protect the paintings from insects and vermin (rodents) while being stored. Should we try to dust them before packing, and what should we use for dusting?

Many thanks for your help.

Barbara Summers
Head of Preservation
Morris Library