[PADG:652] Retrospective Thesis and Dissertation Projects (w/ ProQuest)

Illinois is currently investigating the possibility of a retrospective microfilming and digitizing project for its historical theses and dissertations. Since ProQuest does have most of the recent items online, etc..., there is obvious interest in keeping the access to these items centralized (through their Research At... service). However, there are some rather significant concerns on our end - in particular, regarding the prices quoted given the size of the project (ca. 24,000 scan from film; ca. 3,100 film and scan) and the intellectual rights to the content.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone that has completed a similar project with ProQuest (if on a smaller scale) and is willing to share. In particular, I would like to know: Thank you for your time and effort.

Tom Teper

Head of Preservation
University Library
246F Main Library
University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign
1408 West Gregory Drive
Urbana, IL      61801

Telephone:       217-244-8755
Fax:              217-244-4358