[PADG:634] Re: CD's and Security

Ian

We just recently researched all of the alternatives here (Yale) and decided there was no practical way to secure the media discs themselves through the application of stickers or tattletape. The various cd/dvd disc overlay tapes and hub stickers all seem to have a host of problems; oozing adhesive and the unknown long-term effects of the adhesive on the disc itself. More importantly, the overlays and disc hub security stickers add a considerable amount of weight to the disc. Modern cd/dvd-rom discs spin between 5,400 and 7,000 rpm. Anything applied to the disc, unless applied perfectly every time, will make it wobble which will make it unreadable or damage the player. We decided that the best course was to standardize the packaging that the various disc media comes in by putting each disc into a thin polypropylene disc case (we got ours from Gaylord) and then putting that disc case inside a clear plastic lockable shell case. The shell cases are purchased from Checkpoint Security Systems. The cds and dvds are shelved inside the locked shell cases in the stacks right alongside books. The inside polypropylene case containing the disc has the call number on the spine which can easily be read through the clear outside shell case. Our readers find the item on the shelf by the call number and bring the item to the regular circulation desk for checkout. At the desk the outside shell is unlocked using a special device and stored in a box below the counter. Since no special marking is applied to the outside shell case, each one is interchangeable. The empty shells are then filled with the next cd/dvds that readers return and are locked and placed back on the shelves in the stacks. The system has been in place here for about six months and seems to be working fine. I can give you more details if you would like them.

David