[PADG:622] Re: ILLiad stickers -- input from PADG

I  will be returning to the National Archives at College Park, MD on Wednesday, August 17.

Please direct immediate questions to

to Mary Lynn Ritzenthaler, Acting Director, Preservation Programs :

marylynn.ritzenthaler@xxxxxxxx  301-837-2906

If there is a records emergency, please contact NARA security at 301-837-2900.  Security will contact the Records Emergency (Beeper) Response Team.

-
Doris A. Hamburg
Director, Preservation Programs
National Archives and Records Administration

>>> padg 08/15/05 09:21 >>>

Dear PADG Colleagues: Several years ago there was quite a bit of
discussion on this listserv about the use of ILL stickers being attached
to the covers of loaned volumes, as opposed to using paper bands. While
the University at Albany only uses bands, and requests that
recipricating libraries respect this practice, as part of an information
delivery services consortia there has recently been pressure to use the
stickers, with the reason that it is faster than banding the books.

I thought it might be useful to informally poll the PADG membership to
find out (1) how many of you are using bands, and (2) whether there have
been any difficulties with asking other libraries to respect your
preference that stickers not be used on your institution's holdings.
Note that we do not feel the time to band books is at all significant,
so if anyone has a better reason for using the stickers I'd appreciate
your input.

It will be my pleasure to summarize your information for the list.

Thank you for all,

Karen Brown
University at Albany Libraries