[PADG:588] Re: outside work for conservator to be done gratis

I am posting this response from a colleague not on the list. Her contact
information is included at the bottom of the message.

____________________________________
Kate Murray
Audio Visual Collections Conservator
Emory University
Woodruff Library
Preservation Office
540 Asbury Circle NE
Atlanta GA 30322-2870
tel: 404 727 4894
fax: 404 727 0053
kate.murray@xxxxxxxxx

We don't have a formal policy, but the increased frequency of this type
of request is causing us to think we should.

We always investigate if the person is someone the Library or the
university is "cultivating" for development purposes. We also ask if
they have a collection or any materials the library is interested in
having.  If so, there is little hesitation about doing the work for
them, considering the materials will (likely) be ours at some point in
the future.

Occasionally we have said "This amount of conservation work would have
cost you $XXX if done at one of the regional conservation centers. We
are happy to do the work for you. Would you consider donating a gift of
this amount to our Preservation Endowment Fund?" It's up to them whether
or not to give the gift.

It has been helpful to state the value of the conservation or repair
work when presenting the finished material to the owner, in the form of
a condition and treatment report, with the value of work included,
especially noting the number of hours spent, and cost of supplies used.

Ann Frellsen
Collections Conservator
Preservation Office,  Woodruff Library, Rm. 127
Emory University Libraries
Atlanta, GA  30322-2870
phone: 404-727-0307         FAX  404-727-0053
http://web.library.emory.edu/preservation/