[PADG:584] Re: outside work for conservator to be done gratis

Jeanne,

I question every request of this nature that comes along. The short answer (for Princeton) is that every case is judged on its own. A policy cannot be fully rendered because there is always going to be something that will be politick to do, either for preservation or for the library. Some requests are easy to politely decline; others provide you with no choice, as someone else has made the decision for you or you realize that there will be benefit (to someone) down the road. In all cases where we have done conservation work, it was done gratis.

Robert