    *From:* Chris McAfee [mailto:McAfeeCK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
    *Sent:* Wednesday, July 13, 2005 10:41 AM
    *To:* padg@xxxxxxx; consdist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    *Subject:* [PADG:559] Cold Storage

Please excuse the cross-posting.
As some of you know, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day
Saints is building a new archives/library/preservation building.
We want to build our "vaults" to the highest standard possible. We
are currently working under the idea that we will have an area
with -4 degree F cold storage for our most valuable items (see
http://www.wilhelm-research.com/). However, our building engineers
are concerned with problems of maintaining proper humidity levels,
keeping frost out, etc.
As we've consulted with other archives who have cold storage,
their building engineers have expressed concern with our desire to
have -4 degree storage and this has "frightened" our own building
engineers. Of course, none of these individuals have any cold
storage less than 25 degrees and they have not dealt with anything
colder. So I have 3 requests:
First: I want to know (from a conservator's or preservation
administrator's point of view) how the physical rules change once
you drop below 0 degrees.
Second: As most of the facilities we've talked to are also in more
humid areas, I also want to know how the physical rules change in
a dry climate like Utah.
Third: If those of you who deal with cold storage (35 degrees F
and lower) on a regular basis, could make general comments on
problems and solutions you've experienced, it would be greatly
appreciated.
Thank you,
Christopher McAfee
Christopher McAfee
Senior Conservator
Family and Church History Department
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
50 E. North Temple St. Rm. 227E
Salt Lake City, UT 84150-3420

-- Patricia Palmer Selinger Head, Preservation Department Virginia Commonwealth University Libraries

patricia.selinger@xxxxxxx
(ph)   804.828.1096
(fax)  804.828.0151