[PADG:528] Paperback books: "Stiffening" vs. Kapco adhesive covers

Title: Message
Our library has recently had a preservation survey completed by a consultant and one of the consultant's recommendations was that we consider switching from covering our paperbacks with Kapco adhesive covers to using the "stiffening" method described here:  http://library.cornell.edu/preservation/publications/paperbacks.html

We currently use Kapco covers on all paperbacks that we acquire.  The heavy-use paperbacks are eventually sent out for binding, the rest keep their Kapco-reinforced covers for their lifetime.  We've been using the Kapco covers for about 5 years now.  Before that paperbacks were not reinforced at all.

I have questions for those of you out there that currently use the "stiffening" method.

- If you previously used a different method of reinforcing your paperbacks, what was it and why did you switch?

- How much space does the equipment you use for stiffening take up?  Our library quite literally has only a 3 foot x 4 foot table available for all of tech services, and no more space can be aqcuired.  If we go to the stiffening method, any equipment it requires will need to be stored under the workspace & brought out when needed.

- How much time does it take per book stiffened?

- How easy do you think it would be to learn how to use the stiffening method from scratch?  The staff person who would be stiffening the books (me) has very little expertise with book processing beyond stamping, covering, etc.  I'm even a little iffy doing book repair, since there is very little repair work in our small library.  In general I am not good with what I call "arts & crafts" type projects.  In other words, if glue is involved I'm likely to glue something to myself.  :-)

- Do you have any sense of how much the startup equipment costs, and/or how much it costs in labor & materials to process a book?

- Any thoughts, pro or con, on the stiffening method?

Thanks for your help.

Tania Fersenheim

Tania Fersenheim

Technical Services & Systems Librarian