[PADG:527] cradles for digitizing

Colleagues,

I am seeking information about cradles for use when digitizing bound rare collections using a digital camera. I am very interested in hearing whether there are cradles you've used that you would recommend and those you would not recommend, and why?

We had limited funds and sought the flexibility to photograph formats such as maps and three dimensional objects, in addition to books, so did not opt for one of the robotic book digitizing systems. We are therefore seeking a stand-alone cradle to accompany a recently purchased camera/lighting/copy stand set up. We would like the cradle to permit the volume to be held open as little as 90 degrees and as much as 180 degrees. Additional qualities that are important to us are that it be: easy to use, gentle on the volume, accommodating of different types of bindings, and able to facilitate high quality image capture. I realize we may be asking for a lot!

I have seen brief demonstrations of several cradles, but have not been able to gain a good sense of their functionality from the demonstrations. I have also made much use of the wonderful listing of book scanners and cradles compiled by Harvard Libraries (http://preserve.harvard.edu/resources/bookscanners_table.html), but would very much appreciate hearing from folks with hands on experience using one or more such cradles.

If you would share your challenges and successes with me directly, I will be happy to provide an anonymous summary for the group.

Thank you very much in advance,
liz

--
Liz Dube