[PADG:372] Re: Housing oversize atlas

Kevin,

A post binding will put a lot of stress on the paper and requires a great
deal of margin (ca. 2 inches or more) or the printing is lost into the
binding. Is the paper on this atlas strong with wide margins? Even if the
paper is strong, I'd recommend using hinged boards both front and back to
allow better flexibility.

If the paper is not strong and/or lacks generous margins, consider housing
the atlas as separate sheets in a box.

Shannon Zachary, Head, Preservation and Conservation
University Library
The University of Michigan
837 Greene St. / 3202 Buhr Bldg.
Ann Arbor, MI 48104-1048