[PADG:365] Preservation & Digitization Conference Presented by PALINET

PALINET Presents a Preservation & Digitization Conference - Saving & Promoting Your Collection: Best Practices in Preservation and Digitization

Save the dates - online conference registration will be available at www.palinet.org/presconf the week of February 28, 2005.

Tuesday, April 26 - Thursday, April 28, 2005
Holiday Inn Grantville, Hershey, PA

On behalf of the PALINET Preservation Advisory Group, you are invited to attend this exciting conference featuring the latest information about preservation and digitization issues and techniques.  Through workshops, panel discussions, tours, and presentations, learn about book repair, pest management, dealing with mold, scanning, disaster planning, care of photographic materials, and more.  Featured presenters include:

Gary Albright, Art Conservator
Liz Bishoff, Special Advisor to the President for Cultural Heritage Institutions, OCLC
Tom Clareson, Global Product Manager, Education & Planning Unit, Digital Collections Services, OCLC
Diane Kurtz, Collections Care Supervisor for the Preservation Department, Pennsylvania State University Libraries
Ruthann Hubbert-Kemper, Executive Director, Capitol Preservation Group
Thomas Parker, PhD, President and Entomologist, Pest Control Services, Inc.

Schedule

Tuesday, April 26, 2005

11:00 - 12:30 p.m.
Registration

12:00 - 5:00 p.m.
Choose one tour from:
1. Walking Tour of Pennsylvania Capitol Complex including PA State Archives, PA State Library, and PA Conservation Center (12:30 - 5:00 p.m.) * +
2. Tour of Wert Book Bindery (1:00 - 2:00 or 2:00 - 3:00 p.m.) * ~
3. Civil War Museum Tour and Archivist Presentation (2:30 - 4:30 p.m.) ~

* Limited space available, first-come, first serve.
+ Bus transportation will be provided to the Capitol Complex departing the hotel at 12:30.  Tour participants will walk between three tour sites, and then be returned to the hotel via bus service.
~ No transportation provided - ample free parking available at tour site; directions will be provided

6:30 - 9:00 p.m.
Banquet & Keynote Speaker - Liz Bishoff, Special Advisor to the President for Cultural Heritage Institutions, OCLC

Wednesday, April 27, 2005

8:00 - 9:00 a.m.
Registration & Continental Breakfast

9:00 - 9:30 a.m.
Welcome

9:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
Care of Photographic Materials - Gary Albright
Demystifying Mold - Thomas Parker

12:30 - 1:45 p.m.
Lunch and Preservation Vendor Fair

1:45 - 2:45 p.m.
Capitol Preservation Project Slide Show, Ruth Ann Hubbert
Preservation & Digitization Vendor Demonstrations

2:45 - 5:45 p.m.
Integrated Pest Management for Libraries and Archives.
Scanning Choices for Arts & Artifacts, Linda Tadic, ARTstor
Preservation & Digitization Vendor Demonstrations

3:45 - 5:45 p.m.
Book Repair Triage, Diane Kurtz
Preservation & Digitization Vendor Demonstrations

6:30 - 7:30 p.m.
Reception

Thursday, April 28, 2005

7:30 - 8:30 a.m.
Registration Breakfast

8:30 - 8:45 a.m.
Welcome

8:45 - 11:45 a.m.
Disaster Planning, Tom Clareson
Introduction to Preservation Microfilming, Erica Behler, Senior Project Manager, Preservation Services, OCLC
Preservation Service Center
Digital Project Planning, Christine Guenther, Senior Project Manager, Digital Services, OCLC Preservation Service Center

11:45 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Lunch
Mistakes I Have Made Panel Discussion
Pennsylvania Libraries - Collaborative Collection Development Panel Discussion

1:00 - 3:00 p.m.
Preserving Born Digital Materials, Tom Clareson
Book Repair Triage, Diane Kurtz

Registration
Attend the Full Conference or register for one or two days only. Registration includes all sessions, activities, and meals occurring that day.

Register by Friday April 1 to receive an Early Bird Discount
Registration Deadline - Friday, April 15

Register ONLINE at www.palinet.org/presconf (registration available the week of February 28, 2005)
Registration    Fees:                   Early Bird      After April 16
Full Conference
PALINET OCLC Member     $275            $320
PALINET Member              $320                $365
Library School Student         $150             $195
Non-Member                        $365          $420

One-Day Registration
PALINET OCLC Member          $100               $125
PALINET Member             $125         $150
Library School Student       $  75              $100
Non-Member                       $150           $175

Two-Day Registration
PALINET OCLC Member          $200               $230
PALINET Member             $230         $270
Library School Student       $100               $135
Non-Member                       $260           $395

Hotel Accommodations:
Holiday Inn Harrisburg/Hershey, Grantville, PA
604 Station Road
Grantville, PA 17028
Telephone: 1-717-469-0661
Fax: 1-717-4697755
Web: http://stayholiday.com/

Hotel rooms have been reserved at the Holiday Inn at the special Conference rate of $89.00 (single/double).  Members must make their own reservations.  Contact the Holiday Inn directly at 717-469-0661, and mention PALINET's Conference.  Reservations must be made by Monday, April 11, 2005.

Transportation:
Shuttle service is available from the Harrisburg International Airport and the Harrisburg Train Station.  Contact the Holiday Inn at 717-469-0661 to make shuttle arrangements.

Directions to the Hotel:
>From New York/New Jersey
Take George Washington Bridge to I-80 West; take 287 South to I-78 West to I-81 South; located just off of I-81 South, Hershey Exit 80.

>From Philadelphia
Take PA Turnpike 76; get off at Exit 266 (old exit 20); take 72 North to 322 West to 743 North.

>From Baltimore/Washington
Take I-83 North to I-81 North; located just off of I-81 North, Hershey Exit 80.

>From Pittsburgh
Take PA Turnpike 76; get off at Exit 226 (old exit 16); follow signs to I-81 North; take I-81 North; located just off of I-81 North, Hershey Exit 80.
PALINET is a cooperative membership organization of hundreds of institutions that collect, preserve and provide access to the record of humankind. These institutions include libraries, information centers, museums, archives, and other similar organizations situated in Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, West Virginia and neighboring states. The Network was formed in 1936 to promote library cooperation and resource sharing. Since then, PALINET has provided services in response to the growing and changing needs of libraries and related organizations of all types and sizes.

PALINET
3000 Market Street, Suite 200
Philadelphia, PA 19104
800-233-3401