[PADG:90] transport of rare books

During a renovation of DH Hill Library, we will be storing a portion of our rare book collection at an offsite storage facility located about two miles from the main library and the special collections reading room. Although we anticipate low use of the rare books stored at the offsite facility, we do expect that items will be requested and will have to be transported to and from the reading room from time to time.

Can anyone tell me what procedures you may have in place for transporting individual rare books? Do you have staff hand-carry the items? Do you have any special protective enclosures or boxes? What about architectural drawings?

Any advice on or off the list would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Scott

--
Scott W. Devine