[PADG:27] Re: Lab Renovation Questions

On Fri, 14 May 2004, Barbara Summers wrote:

Flooring:
> Our current lab has carpeting.  I do not want carpeting the new lab. Let
> me know what types of flooring you have in your lab, and if you would
> recommend it. Or any types of flooring you've seen or heard about that
> would be good for a conservation lab.

We have linoleum tile. I, too, would not want carpeting. It's often easier
and more efficient to deliberately let bits and pieces fall to the floor
and just swipe it up with a wide dust mop at the end of the day than to
meticulously place every off-cut in a trash bin. But I think the all-time
best flooring I've seen in a lab is at the Minnesota Historical Society in
St. Paul. Underneath the smooth, washable floor surface is thick padding!
Great for people who are on their feet much of the day. We have brought in
industrial pads that sit on top the floor in key areas: it works but is
harder to keep clean.

Shannon Zachary, Head, Conservation Services
Preservation Division, University Library
The University of Michigan
837 Greene St. / 3202 Buhr Bldg.
Ann Arbor, MI 48104-1048
Phone: 734/763-6980 Fax: 734/763-7886