[PADG:2270] Re: protection during campus deliveries

Andy:

UIUC is using plastic totes similar to the ones that you describe for several functions. The one that I am most closely associated with is bindery prep. For transporting items from branch and departmental libraries outside the Main Library Building, we requested that units pack items to be bound into these totes (distinguishable by color and a stenciled "Binding Only"; grey tubs are for remote storage, etc...). Shipping and Receiving personnel can then pick up and deliver the tote without any required handling of the items, sorting the pieces from books and other items being routed between libraries, or otherwise concern over water damage. Once the totes are delivered to binding, my personnel unpack them and stack the empty totes. The stack takes about 6 square feet of floor space.

Of the 25 we purchased, several stay in the stack on any given day, and unit libraries have several that are being filled. The remainder ride as empties in the shipping truck to be exchanged with those in the unit libraries. If the units need one, they can contact Shipping, but otherwise, it's very hands-off for us.

We purchased some of the that we use from C&H Distributors. There is a picture of that item at the following link:

http://www.chdist.com/ecommerce/eComm?template=product&cust_no=&user_id=&ship_no=-1&tran_id=8&prod_id=427&parent_id=0

A more extensive line is available directly from the producer. There is a picture at: http://www.matehk.com.hk/orbis/htmtxt/p34.htm.

the tubs themselves are very high impact plastic, and although they have become a little scuffed, not one has broken in two years of daily use. Although a few folks had questions at first, everyone seems happy.

Hope that this helps.

Tom