[PADG:2269] RE: protection during campus deliveries

We switched from open wooden crates to plastic tubs with lids (the big Rubbermaid things) a few years ago.  There was some concern that these tubs would walk away and end up as toy boxes in people's basements and such, but this has not happened.  To prevent this, the tubs are all well labeled.  There are clear plastic pockets on the lids where departments can slip in a card to identify where the tub goes.  This works pretty well by all accounts.  The books are well protected, the mailroom folks like using these tubs because they have good handles and stack well.  One problem we do have from time to time is that branch libraries will not have the tubs they need, but they just call to get some and the mailroom folks deliver some empties to them on their next round.

Recently, they have started to use different color tubs for different kinds of materials.  Blue tubs are used for materials going to and from the Preservation Department.  Green tubs are used to deliver new acquisitions to branch locations, and they might have a few other color by now that I don't know about.

Hope this helps.  The plastic tubs sure beat the wet books we used to get.

Brian Baird

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
Brian J. Baird
Preservation Librarian
University of Kansas
134 Watson Library