[PADG:2240] Re: temporary spine labels

Bobbie,
We face a similar problem with material selected for highlighting on our
new book shelves: books spend a short time in that section, then are
transferred to the general stacks. We face the additional complication of
wanting to retain the book jacket's visual appeal and information while
it's on the new book shelf.

We are currently working with cataloging and circulation to use our CoLibri
machine to address these problems. Our strategy will be to apply barcode
and label directly to the jacket and put a CoLibri on. The new book label,
which is removable, goes over that. When the book goes to the shelf, the
new book label would be removed and the CoLibri-covered book will go to the
stacks. We considered putting a paper strip saying new book around the
"waist" of the book and inside the CoLibri, but that would interfere with
the spine title and jacket graphics or information and wouldn't work for
us. Since we barcode on the dust jacket and some fear that the book jacket
will eventually go missing, we put a duplicate barcode on the book itself.
We've tested removable labels and they seem to work fine for this.
Best,
Winston
_______________________________

Winston Atkins
Preservation Department
Duke University Libraries
Campus Box 90189
Durham, NC 27708-0189

winston.atkins@xxxxxxxx
Ph: 919-660-5843     Fax 919-684-2855
_______________________________

                      Roberta Pilette
                      <roberta.pilette@        To:       padg@xxxxxxx
                      yale.edu>                cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  [PADG:2239] temporary spine labels
                      owner-padg@xxxxxx

                      02/06/04 09:09 AM
                      Please respond to
                      padg

Hi,
   We are trying to find a tape or label that can be used on a wide variety

of book cloths/papers.  The working qualities are that it must stay adhered

while we need the label, but must come off cleanly and relatively easily
when we want to remove it.

   If anyone has such a miracle product---please, share it.

   We are labeling reserves that then go back into the collection, minus
their reserve label.  What's been used in the past--plain old scotch
tape--is certainly not acceptable on a number of counts.

Thanks.

Bobbie Pilette
Yale University Library
Preservation Dept