[PADG:2228] Scanner (fwd)

Our flatbed scanner operator is having difficulty with duplex scanning using the Fujitsu model M4097D ( the problem described below). Has anyone else had similiar problems and if so what have you done to correct it short of buying a new scanner? Joan Gatewood

Problem
     Whenever I use the duplex mode I notice that side two is always
noticeably fainter than side one.  In order to get a quality scan I must
turn up the darkness to a level I would never have to use if I were
simply scanning one page at a time.  This overcompensation leaves me with
scans that look almost bold-face on the front, and with backs that are
just barely up to spec.  I frequently must rescan backs that despite this
darkening still look fragmented with characters breaking up.  If an
illustration falls on a page front it is always far too dark and if it
falls on a page back it is almost without failure too light.  How can I
get an even exposure over both the front and back in one shot?

That's about my best explanation of what goes on. I hope it helps.

-- Bill A.