[PADG:2193] benchmarking outreach

The Preservation Group at the University of Maryland Libraries has
created a "Marketing Plan" for preservation outreach.  We have been
asked to include a piece about benchmarking to set goals and show
progress.  One possible approach may be to take an annual survey of
damage that appears to be caused by poor care and handling versus normal
wear and tear.   Perhaps we could set ourselves a goal of reducing the
percentage of damage from poor handling by 5% a year, or some other
number.  However, I have not found literature on such benchmarking and
wonder if any of you have a model or suggestions that you would be
willing to share.

Thanks very much,

Yvonne

Yvonne Carignan				Voice:  	301 405-9343
Preservation Production Group Leader	FAX:		301 314-9971
McKeldin Library			Email:	yc38@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
University of Maryland
College Park, MD 20742