[PADG:2177] Appraising digital materials for preservation

The Duke University Libraries is putting together a project to assess and
appraise digital materials we receive through a variety of avenues; for
example, disks in special collections acquisitions or CDs accompanying
general acquisitions. We are interested in the appraisal processes other
libraries have used to assess and made preservation decisions about these
materials. Of particular interest are the digital file's context in the
larger collection with which it is associated and strategies for assessing
material without reviewing each item individually. Can anyone point us to
ongoing work in this area?

Thanks,
Winston Atkins

Winston Atkins