[PADG:2090] Re: CoLibri System

The Cataloging Dept., which previously used mylar book jackets on new
books, embraced this system and all CoLibri work is done in that dept.

Cataloging was happy to add the covers to older books because
--they keep the red-rot off your hands
--labels stick to the covers (no ident-a-strips to fall out of items in
the general collection)
--we figured out how to thread a red ribbon though the plastic so it
doesn't fall to the floor when a member of the public opens the book in
the stacks

We hesitate to use them on special collections because, although the
plastic ought to be archivally sound, we worry about slip agents (used
to keep the covers from sticking to each other). I am interested to hear
about the experience of any libraries that use them in special
collections.