[PADG:1945] Myth

The Main Library at Indiana University sinks over an inch every year
because when it was built, engineers failed to take into account the
weight of all the books that would occupy the building.

I wrote to Jake Nadal, Acting Head of Preservation at IUB, and he responded:

I'm happy to say that it's a myth - the Main Library (like most of
Bloomington) sits on a 94 foot deep bed of limestone, and is actually
constructed several feet higher than intially planned because the rock was
harder than the architects expected.

This myth seems to be making its way around the Internet.  I wanted to
let you all know in case you also get an inquiry, or perhaps the message
itself.  It is distributed along with other "facts" like:  A duck's
quack doesn't echo, and no one knows why; and On average, 100 people
choke to death on ball point pens every year.

--

Patricia Palmer Selinger