[PADG:1937] opening shrink-wrapped books

A contact at one of our vendors pointed out that the shrink wrap, while
a nuisance to remove, helps suppliers to send us books in better
condition.  As books go through the various stages of inventory and
shipping, the shrink wrap protects against finger prints, bent covers,
pages damaged by other books or objects pressed into the textblock
edges, etc.

Thanks to all who offered advice.  Our Acquisitions Department was happy
to hear some good ideas.

Andy

Andrew Hart, Preservation Librarian
CB#3910, Davis Library